Landscaping

Progress in the Backyard

In the last couple of months, we’ve made a lot of changes in our backyard.  Thought I’d post some pictures of the updates … Before: After: We started by installing a new block retaining wall out by the pool in place of the old railroad tie wall.  The new wall’s almost done … we just…

Backyard Updates

The retaining wall we started on a few weeks ago is now nearly done!  The blocks are pretty much in place; we just need to backfill with another few loads of gravel, finish gluing the capstones in place, and do some grading both in front of and behind the retaining wall.  Here’s a picture of…

Over the last week or so, we’ve been really busy working on the new retaining wall in our back yard and it’s not done yet, but we think we’ve made some really good progress. We worked every night last week on digging into the hillside and leveling the bottom of the trench for the retaining…

Yesterday, we started the project to install a new retaining wall in the back yard by tearing out the old railroad tie wall, removing some bushes, and starting to re-grade the area around the retaining wall. I managed to miss getting a good picture yesterday of the wall before we started tearing it down, but…

As part of an effort to clean up and refresh the backyard this summer, we had a guy come out a couple of weeks ago to take a look at the patio out by the pool and give us an estimate for mudjacking it back to level.  Although it’s really not that big of a…

Last Saturday, Chad dug out our garden tractor to mow the yard for the first time this spring and spread some fertilizer.  He started mowing, but only got a few yards when the engine died and he couldn’t get it to start again.  The engine would turn over when he turned the key, but it…

This year, we decided to try something different for leaf removal and bought a John Deere Power Flow bagger for our lawn mower.  They come in 7 and 14 bushel models and we decided on the larger of the two.  So far, it’s done a good job of picking up the leaves and grass clippings…

After finishing the repairs to the deck almost a month ago, the weather finally cooperated with enough dry days in a row that I could scrub and stain the deck boards so they all matched again.  We’d noticed that the deck boards had taken quite a beating over the winter even before we started on the…

The Yard in Bloom

As of today, our yard is fully in bloom … here’s a picture before the deer help themselves to all the flowers:

Finishing the Deck Repairs

We finished up work today on our deck to fix a problem where tree roots were pushing up on the framing, causing a “bump” around the tree.  We started by re-working the framing for the deck around the tree to give the roots more breathing room and then replaced all of the decking that had…

We took a break from our project to fix the deck yesterday and decided to work on running some speaker wire and ethernet cable to it instead. We usually have an old boom box with us when we’re out on the deck so we can have the radio on in the background.  Since it’s not…

Starting the Deck Project

With the weather getting warmer this week, we decided it was a good time to start the repairs on our deck so it would be fixed by the time we got ready to dig out all of our patio furniture and start using it again.  Our deck is built around a tree that we love…

« Prev - Next »