New Chandelier

When we ordered the new light fixtures for our bedroom, we decided to also order the new chandelier we’d been liking for the upstairs hallway at the same time.

The old one was brass and crystal-ly, but not in a good way.  It was looking pretty dated.

DSC04843 DSC04845

We’d actually started looking for a replacement chandelier around the time we took down the wallpaper and painted the foyer and upstairs hallway – in 2011 – but never pulled the trigger on it.  The chandelier we liked then (and the one we finally wound up ordering now) was part of the same Hinkley Sussex collection as the lights we put in the master bedroom and some sconces we’d installed in the entry way and bathroom downstairs.

Hinkley Sussex 4795EZ 5 Light Chandelier (image source)

Same as the other fixtures from the collection, we liked the understated style of the chandelier, which is current without feeling out of place in our old house.  We also liked that the lights have fabric shades, which keeps them from being blinding (like bare bulbs would be) since the chandelier is hung in the center of our stairway in a spot where we it’s regularly in line of site, so we look right at it a lot.

The new chandelier was installed at the same time as the bedroom fixtures and, overall, we feel like the change was a good one.  It really updates the hallway nicely.

IMG_6816 IMG_6817 IMG_6822

Like any updates, though, this one has not been without it’s challenges.

To start with, the chandelier came with less chain and wire attached than we expected, so the fixture had to be re-wired and a new section of chain needed to be attached before it could even be installed.  Luckily, we had the electrician from the lighting store do the installation, so this was a non-event.

Then, once the electrician left, I noticed that the chandelier was hanging really crooked.  Not just a little “we live in an old crooked house” crooked, but like really listing to one side.  It drove me nuts.  I tried everything – I even bought some lead weights that I planned to attach to help level it out, but then I realized it would take several PACKAGES of weights to balance the fixture properly.  Eventually, I thought to look in the assembly instructions, which described spreading the arms of the chandelier apart to create 72* angles between them.  I found it pretty impossible to measure the exact angle between the arms, but just looking at our fixture, we could tell that they were not evenly spaced.  And, wouldn’t you know it – once we realized the arms could be repositioned, adjusting the spacing between them to be more even fixed the “super crooked” issue that had been driving me batty.

So, as of now, really our only remaining complaint is that the shades are super wobbly and always crooked.  I need to spend some time trying to figure out a fix for this.  The shades just slip over the base of the light socket, but don’t lock in place or anything.  They are very loose.  I think something needs to be added that will give the shade some grip so that it can stay straight … I’m thinking maybe o-rings or a rubbery hair tie or maybe even a few layers of painters tape will do the trick.  If anyone has any good suggestions, do share!

IMG_6823

I still like the style of the new chandelier and I think it feels so much better in our upstairs hallway than the old one, which was really making the whole area feel old and dated.  I just need to take the time to work with the shades and then, once the memory of all of this fades, I think we will really love it.  Or at least that’s what I keep telling myself.  Ha!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Include a link back to a recent blog post of mine (via CommentLuv).