This weekend, we installed our new Hayward Swimpure Chlorine Generator and converted our swimming pool to a salt water pool!

Chad started the project yesterday morning by plumbing the cell and the flow meter in to the return line to the pool, just after the heater.

The Chlorine Generator Cell & Flow Meter

While the glue for the joints in the PVC pipe was drying, we started the installation of the control panel and re-positioning the old outlet and switch for the pump.  Since the panel was kind of large and a little heavy to mount with just a couple screws on the existing 4 x 4 post, we installed a second post about a foot away and mounted the control panel on a couple of boards that span the distance between the two posts.  The positioning of the control panel for the chlorine generator also required that we relocate the electrical box containing an outlet and switch for pump to the side of the original post.  It wasn’t all that difficult to wire, but this part of the project was pretty time consuming – mostly because of the re-location of the existing electrical.

Control Panel and Updated Electrical for the Chlorine Generator

With the electrical work completed, we then went to Lowe’s and bought salt to add to the pool.  We’d tested the salt level in the pool earlier last week and it came out around 600 ppm.  According to the manual that came with the chlorine generator, we thought we’d need to add around 520 lbs of water softener salt in order to raise the salt level to the target of 3200 ppm.  So, we bought 13 – 40 lb bags of water softener salt crystals.  Since we aren’t completely sure of the size of our pool (it’s somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 gallons,  but we aren’t sure of the exact size), we decided to start by adding a little less than the recommended amount to make sure that we didn’t add too much.  We also thought it might not be good to have the salt go straight into the filter since we were afraid it would accumulate in the bottom of the filter and not dissolve as quickly, so we emptied the bags into the shallow end of the pool, about 4 at a time, and brushed the salt around on the bottom of the pool until it was almost completely dissolved.  We were really amazed how quickly that happened – it took only about 15 minutes to dissolve 4 bags of salt!  After adding 11 bags (440 lbs), we decided to stop, let the water mix some more, and take another salt reading.

In order to speed up the process of mixing the water, we left the pump running overnight and we also ran our Aquabot pool cleaner, which has it’s own pump and actually does a really good job of stirring things up.  When we went back out this morning to take a salt reading using a test strip, we thought it read close to 3800 ppm (which is a little too high).  The chlorine generator, though, has a digital reading for the salt level and it’s showing something closer to 3200 or 3300 ppm, which is more where we’d like it to be.  The instructions for the chlorine generator say we have to wait 24 hours after starting it up for the salt level to be accurate, so I guess we’ll have to check it tomorrow to see if we need to worry about lowering the salt level any.  I’m just really glad we didn’t decide to dump in all the salt we bought or the level would be too high, for sure.

The Control Panel for the Chlorine Generator

So, the generator has been running since this morning and it appears to be working.  It sounds like we’ll have to go through some trial-and-error to get the right setting for the percentage of time it should actually be generating chlorine, but to start with, we’ve left it at 50% and by around 7:30 tonight, it appears to have raised the chlorine level by 1 ppm from where it was at this morning, which I’m really excited about!

This afternoon, we made one last trip to the hardware store to buy some anchors for the electrical conduit and a few other miscellaneous things and then Chad put the finishing touches on the electrical and plumbing for all of our new pool equipment.  He finished plumbing the waste line that we’ll use when we need to pump down the pool and he also installed a weather tight box on the back side of the control panel, where we’ve coiled up all of the extra cords that connect the control panel to the flow meter and the cell (since they were way too long for our configuration).

So, by the end of the day, we think we’re officially done with the project to replace the pool equipment and install a chlorine generator!

Filed Under: Pool

Tags:

One thought on “The Chlorine Generator is Installed!

  1. tom says:

    good job ,but I did not see a check valve before the chorine generator ,you need one to stop clorine geting your hester.

Leave a Reply